
April 17, 2008 - On Tuesday, April 1st, I had the absolute pleasure of joining my sons, Reid and Ross, to celebrate Ross' 19th birthday, on the fabulous Square in Oxford, MS. The moment they walked into the restaurant where I was waiting, I got all teary-eyed, as us mothers often do. How very proud I am to be their Mom.
As Ross walked in, I was first struck by the young man before me, not the young boy I left behind just a few months ago. He looked fantastic and has certainly made a "hunk" of a man! Then, when I saw Reid, I was instantly reminded of just how handsome a man he is also and how very, very much he reminds me of my beloved Father and his grandfather, Milton Reid, whom he was named for. I may not have got my marriage right, but by God, I did good on the children! (ok, so I'm a bit predjudice!)
I could not let the day go by without surprising Ross with a birthday cake, which the waitress so willingly kept hidden from us as we visited and ate our lunch. Ross didn't seem "too" surprised by the cake, but then he knows that I am going to always be there for him and even with the littlest things, I will provide if at all possible. Afterwards, in the pouring down rain, we went to visit the new apartment complex where Ross and his friends want to move their Sophomore year. It was very nice and certainly more than us MS. State grads ever had offered to us all those years ago! My, my how times do change.
Now you must know, a parent is not a parent if they do not make that often dreaded trip to WAL MART to restock your college students pantries and tolietries. I not only went once, but twice to do this..... it seem there is never enough of anything when a parent visits their children at college, is there? And let's not forget the auto gas..... oh yes, Fill it up, Mom! Well, of course it WAS Ross' birthday, right?
My pocketbook may have suffered from this trip, but I didn't at all. It was the absolute best medicine a doctor could order for a Mom missing her children so dearly and it only created more of those precious memories I hold so closely and dearly to my heart. MY love for my children is unparalled to anything in the world...... except maybe grandchildren, SO I'M TOLD!! But I am in no hurry whatsoever on that.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: "Should you encounter a problem along lifes way, change your direction, but not your destination!"
1 comment:
I’ve recently visited your blog and may say that it is both delightful and admirable, no one could have done a better job! The pictures are indeed adorable and the content is extremely interesting. This is the case when I have a chance to call your blog charming and captivating at one time! I’ve immediately added it to my favorite links and cannot imagine a more outstanding place to spend my time at!
Post a Comment