Thursday, April 24, 2008

Our Daily Walks.....

April 24, 2008 - Mike left early this a.m. for the airport, so Ms. Maggie Mae and myself took off for a nice long walk, in the early hours of today. It's so neat being one of the first of the day to walk the trails surrounding our subdivision. We quite often see nature's critters scurrying around to absorb the early morning sunshine or out looking for breakfast. It's almost always an entertaining walk and this morning was no different.



As we rounded the first bend through the trees, we came upon a small brownish-gray rabbit. The little fellow didn't even bother to try to hide or get away as he/she was chomping down on a fresh bunch of grass. Of course, Ms. Maggie wanted so badly to "sniff" the little one, but I kept her a nice distance away. We "chatted" with the little one for a few minutes and then went on with our walk. Since we had seen a very large rabbit in that same area yesterday evening, I assumed it was one of the same family.



Once we got near the boat pier and while crossing one of many small bridges, I noticed a old log on the shoreline full of turtles basking in the morning sun. One of the turtles was as large as a dinner plate, I kid you not! He was the largest I have seen since being here, though we see many of them. Must have been grandpa and all the other family members! Although we did not see any other critters, it is not unusual to see the cute family of foxes several townhouses down or the many groundhogs that have made their homes along the elevated walkways of our complex. Like I said, our walks are always entertaining in one way or another and I again thank God everyday for this wonderful blessing of being able to actually slow down and observe all the wonderful things we have here on earth. So, so much of our life is rushed and hurried and we miss these simple, little things that add so much to our surroundings.

Finally, as we rounded the last pond, I noticed touches of purple wisteria peeking through the dead underbrush from our long, cold winter. It is so nice seeing everything "greening" up for a change, though our weather has been less steady. We will have a wonderfully warm day (70's) here and there, then the next will be in the low 50's. Spring just hasn't settled completely in here, but we're working on it! One thing I do know, however, is that Baltimore County is known for his high pollen count and wealthy allergists! Lovely! I've had my share of severe sinus headaches already and am not looking forward to many more. Thank goodness for all the rain that seems to make its way here on a weekly basis!

We then headed home.... our last "lap" of the complex completed for now. Another walk; another memory.

THOUGHT WORTH REPEATING: "Carry the aroma of God with you each and every day so that others may be drawn to God's fragrance."

No comments: