Saturday, April 19, 2008

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggity-Jog!




April 19, 2008 - My trip back home to MS 2 weeks ago was great. Since I flew into Memphis, I had the opportunity to stay with and visit my dear friend, Connie Buchanan, in Olive Branch. Staying with her is better than a 5-star hotel! She and her husband both are just exceptional when it comes to southern hospitality. First of all, their home is beyond beautiful. It always looks like something out of "House Beautiful" and with it comes Trey's cooking! I'm never disappointed in the meals he prepares for his guests. Now that could be a whole other blog, but believe you me, that man can cook!

I spent my first two days in Mississippi visiting Connie by night and the boys in Oxford by day. Then I got up Wednesday morning and drove down to Madison to visit other friends and family members. I was so fortunate to get to see several of my Aunts: Marilynn Moore from Colorado; Margaret Russell from Alabama; Brenda "BB" Stamper from Meridian; and Corrie Smith from there in Madison. We all gathered at Corrie's house, with cousins Pam, Tona and Ty for a get together and what we in the HILL family like to call a "talk-a-thon." Now for those of you unfamiliar with this, you are certainly missing out. There is enough talking going on to burn up a telephone battery and what's even worse is the fact that most of us all talk at the same time. However, fear not! The HILL family is used to this and believe it or not, we all know what is being said and by whom, regardless of the seemingly "chaotic" atmosphere.

I am always thrilled when I get to be with my family. It is always as if I never left. We are all very close and have a strong bond that no distance can break. We are one of those families that grew up with family reunions on a regular basis or just any reason to get together and eat.

This was the first time I had seen my Aunt Marilynn in several years and as always, she looked great and kept me smiling at her great sense of humor. Then there are the two travelers who will jump in the car and go just about anywhere, anytime..... Margaret and BB. They get together with their mutual families as much as possible and keep the laughter and family ties going strong. Then their is the oldest, Corrie, who can keep up with the best of them. She always opens her home to everyone and keeps the Margaritas flowing whenever possible. HECK, I CANNOT EVEN KEEP UP WITH ALL THOSE WILD WOMEN ONCE THEY GET GOING!!! They are hilarious and I dearly love every minute I have with them. My best memory with them, however, was at bedtime. Marilynn had stretched out on the couch and was "snoozing"; both Margaret and BB had put down their inflatable mattresses on the living room floor and Corrie and her shadow, Rascal (her dog) had eased off to their bedroom. I was sitting up on the end of the couch opposite Marilynn. It was after midnight. We talked and talked and talked, but soon the snoring began..... one by one by one.... until it was a "beautiful" (??) melody of altos and sopranos, with one bass stuck their in the middle. I laughed out loud at the sounds among those wonderfully, entertaining aunts of mine, who had finally found peace in the depths of their dreams and snoring.

My blog would not be complete without mentioning all the dear friends I had only a short time with, but did manage to squeeze them into this visit. First their was Jan Levy Mattiace, who was gracious enough to meet me for a late night dinner at the new lifestyle center in Ridgeland called The Renaissance. Her husband's company is the Developer in this very eloquent and upscale development and therefore, Jan works very closely with many of the owner/managers of the businesses there. We talked and talked, but by 11:30, I could hardly keep my head up and eyes open, plus the restaurant was closing and everyone seemed to want to go home. What a great visit we had though. I cherish these times, though short and few.

I was able to meet my other dear friend and former co-worker, Diana Dieckman, the following day for lunch. Since we do not have McAlister's here in Maryland, much less their famous sweet tea, we decided to dine there. It was like old times and the food was still delicious. Diana had gotten a new hair cut, with highlights, and looked really good. I was jealous of the haircut because I had waited for so long to get to come back to Mississippi and have my former stylist cut my hair, only to cancel on her at the last minute. My time with the boys meant more to me than my haircut, so I cancelled my appointment so that I could spend an extra day with the boys in Oxford. OK, so my hair didn't look that great. I'm sorry, but at this age in life, it's all about priorities and my boys are IT!!

On Thursday, late afternoon, I was finally able to see my brother, Bricky and his wife, Linda. I am so blessed to have the family I have and certainly, that includes my brothers. Two very different men, but both so supportive of me and so close. He told me that the funeral home had finally contacted him regarding the transfer of my Mother's urn and ashes to her final resting place.... the niche that she originally bought prior to her death. It only took the funeral home 9 years to get the second building built, but it was finally a reality and mother's "home" would be ready. We hope to all get back together to be there for this. If possible, we will do it this summer when Randy and I both can be there. This has been a very long time coming. Mama Sue would be proud!

Next, I was able to meet Luticia Johnson and Jackie Peterson at our favorite restaurant, Vasillio's in Madison. We three worked together at ITD many, many years ago and have remained dear friends for some 20 years now. Just like with family, when we get together, it's as if we've never been apart. We seem to pick up right where we left off and we bring lots of laughter and smiles to one another.

After leaving them, I drove over to visit with Alice Jean, Lee and Carolyn Grace Hawkins. Yes, it was 10:00 at night, but I was not going to leave town without seeing them AND they promised me that they are up late most nights. I don't think I have ever visited AJ that she wasn't cooking and/or preparing food for someone else. She is the most busy person I have ever been around, but always looks like a million dollars. Hell, I would be dragging, looking haggared, and probably even drinking if I had to do all she does. We had a great visit too and although CG had to study (she's in nursing school) for test the next day, we managed to get in a few conversations too. She is my greatest email buddy and I have so enjoyed getting to know her better over this past year or so. OH YES! HOW COULD I FORGET? When I arrived at their home, there were four (4) Does at the end of their driveway eating the leaves off a tree near the mailbox. I sat there for a few minutes to just stare at them in awe. They are such beautiful creatures and I cannot believe people actually shoot them. Anyway, it was another great, great night with friends and family and once again, I hit the bed after midnight.

On Friday morning, I hit the ground running AGAIN. The entire week was full of rain and thunder storms. I made a quick stop by my former neighbor's house to visit. Mr. Gilmer was one of the best neighbors a person could ever have, except that I had TWO good neighbors... he on one side and Tim Little on the other. I just missed Tim by no more than 15 minutes, but promised to see he and his young son on my next trip back. Mr. Gilmer was having a hard time getting around due to a bad hip, but was scheduled for surgery the following week. (He has since had the surgery and is doing great!)

I then headed back to Oxford for one last visit and lunch with my boys. Of course, I cried and cried and cried. I hated leaving them. They have made me so proud. So, once again, in the pouring down rain, we said our goodbyes and I was off to Memphis to catch a plane. I arrived at the airport at 3:30 p.m. only to be informed that my flight had been cancelled due to tornados throughout Mississippi and Alabama. With a few more re-scheduling of flights, I was able to make it to Atlanta by 11:30 that night; then at 1:00 a.m. Saturday morning, I boarded my final flight home to Baltimore.... actually crawling into my own bed at exactly twelve (12) hours from the time I walked into the Memphis airport to come home! Boy, was I tired, but it was a damn good trip and my precious little princess, Maggie Mae and her Daddy Mike, were glad to have me back home.

No comments: