Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Economy, Boys and Aunt Gretchen .....

April 29, 2008 - I awoke this morning to the news of the day: our weakening economy, government issued "rebate" checks, etc. In all my 50 years, we have never had such tremendous gas prices and seen so many people struggling to save their homes from foreclosure, etc. Just yesterday, I paid $3.85 per gallon for gas in my car. This was the "cheapest" gas I could find on this particular stretch of highway I was on. I did see it as much as $3.95 per gallon, with Regular at $3.55/gallon. However and unfortuneately for me, my car requires Premium gas and the price I paid is about average here in Baltimore area. We are warned that gas prices will definitely continue to go up, so I am thankful that I don't get out much more than I do and can "somewhat" save a little here and there.

My oldest son, Reid, recently severely sprained his right ankle and tore several ligaments. From the photos he sent me, it appeared that someone had beaten his foot/ankle with a baseball bat. It was all black and blue and very, very swollen. After 10 days, he is still having swelling and some bruising and will therefore be going to see a specialist tomorrow. He has been unable to drive (saves gas!!) and even worse, cannot work. He is a Cook at a local Greek restaurant in Oxford, MS and his job requires him to be on his feet 6 hours at a time. He currently cannot put pressure on this foot for more than a few minutes at a time and requires crutches. I am anxious to hear what the doctor recommends tomorrow. As a mother, you can only imagine how frustrating it is for me NOT to be able to be there with him and to help him. This is just another reason I hope that someday, Mike and I can move closer to the boys.... at least within a day's driving distance. We are currently about 16-17 hours driving distance from Mississippi and that's just too far for me to drive alone. I do miss my boys, but I also realize that they are in college now and I have to let go a little bit. Not much though! ha ha

My boys will be going back to Madison this weekend to attend their Aunt Gretchen's Memorial Service (Gretchen Riddell Beli). She lived with her 3 boys just outside San Francisco, California and had been battling Ovarian Cancer for several years now. She was only 54 years old and such an outgoing person, with the most vivacious personality of anyone I've ever met. The most perfect description of her thoughts on life and personality was found in her online obituary from another one of her nephews. It read: "Aunt Gretchen your always "Why fly coach when there's first class?" view of life will be missed. I hope you will now be able to truly live First Class in the Kingdom of the Lord. We love and miss you. Brad Varner.   Enough said.


THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: "Everyone controls his own destiny. What will you do with yours?"

2 comments:

Carolyn Grace said...

sorry you had to pay .30 cents extra for that mighty fine gas. i guess that's the price you pay to cruise in a BEENNNZZZ. =) love ya

Unknown said...

can't wait to see page after this group hits the streets.......you know i never get online and to see this is great. I feel like i just went back to my own past. I remember most of those things as if I were standing there. Remember how much you mean to our family and we love you and our new member(mike) love ya Aunt Beth You are right about Gretchen , she LIVED life didn't just pass thru it