Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter 2008

March 23, 2008 - Wow! It all began with a marathon attendance at two separate church services over the weekend, in two very far apart towns! I had planned it all out to help avoid the sadness I was feeling not being with my sons for the first Easter ever. Though I felt that nothing could take away the sadness I felt on the inside, I was determined to make the most of this blessed day. Besides, I am a Master of hiding my inner-most feelings if needed. However, on this weekend, God proved me wrong.

On Saturday, I drove to a church in Joppa, Maryland called Mt. Christian Church. Not only had my neighbor mentioned it to me, but I had read all about it online and it sounded very much like my church back in Mississippi that I so dearly love (Pinelake). It was a cloudy day, with a light mist of rain, but I was determined to attend the mid-afternoon Easter service. The church is very large, like Pinelake, and was having 2 services on Saturday and 2 on Sunday to accomodate all the people. Within 20 minutes of leaving home, I came up over a big hill to see this absolutely gorgeous old stone church, with steeples reaching high into the sky. I was thrilled! I so love all these old stone, architectural wonders of buildings, etc. that I see all over this area. I immediately wanted to get out and take a picture, but I had left my camera... I WILL take one next week however and post for you to see.

Because of the size of the congregation of this church, the main services are held in the New Life Center, which is just down the hill from the old church building. Although the NLC holds about 1200 people, the overflow crowds can watch the services via video-feed (like Pinelake in Ridgeland!) from the gorgeous surroundings of the old church. It is also used for weddings and funerals, but "only" holds about 500 people. I've already decided that I will probably choose to sit in the old church for services rather than the NLC each week. I love these old structures....they have such character.

The moment I walked into the New Life Center, I could hear the music coming from inside the auditorium and I watched as the people were all standing around talking and laughing and just seeming happy. Even the look of the huge lobby where I entered reminded me of Pinelake. I felt an amazing comfort the moment I walked in the door. I went to the Welcome Desk to get some phamplets and also to "check" on the hospitality of the ones working the desk.... After all, I was one of the original Pinelake members at Ridgeland and one of my duties was welcoming members and guests as they arrived. Well, guess what? They were great! Darn!

The service was great; the preacher even reminded me of Pinelake's leaders.... young, fit, and a dynamic speaker. He spoke everyday language and interjected several humorous statements here and there. And of course, there was the band and the music. You know how I love modern Christian music!... Yes, I knew when I left there that I had found a church home here in Maryland. My spiritual batteries were recharged and I was happy. Even though I was still missing my boys, the pain had lessened, and I knew it was going to be alright. After all, Mike and I had already talked about me possibly going to see the boys the first week of April (Ross' 19th birthday!!) and that's just another week away. :) Then came Easter Sunday morning.... well, you'll have to read my blog on that.... Easter in Washington.

1 comment:

Baby B said...

Ok - 1 more time - darn you should have seen me yesterday working in the beautiful sun trying to get sun for my darling Easter Sun dress in my bra. Well guess what it is MS and it was cold and windy today - my fifty-something goose bumps were adorable. Blogging from home since I couldn't get on at work. Will check you as often as I can get to the computer with a 16 year old in the way.

This is a great blog.

Love and Miss You,
Baby B