Tuesday, March 31, 2009

REID, Milton M. - Father and Hero


March 31, 2009 - Nine years ago today, my father, Milton Moran Reid, of Canton, Mississippi, died of a massive stroke. I remember that day so well and the massive tears that followed. When you grow up with a father that you absolutely love and adore and who you have called your "Hero" for all your life, the pain of loosing them is almost unbearable.

Though his health had declined greatly during the prior months and though we often spoke of that time in life when we would have to let him go, I can honestly tell you, I was never prepared to let my father go. Not then, not ever!

I think of my father EVERY day and my eyes often swell up with tears at the smallest thoughts of him. Sometimes the thoughts are happy, but then, sometimes they are sad. However, the thoughts that I cling to the most are the happy ones and the memories we shared together. It is those memories that I cherish so much and am so proud to hang on to.

Today, on the 9th anniversary of his death, I have had very mixed feelings all day long. I regret that I cannot be at his graveside to place some fresh flowers on his grave and also spend time at my Mother's niche just across the path. But instead, I spent lots of time outside today, enjoying the sunshine and the fresh spring daffodils popping up everywhere in our neighborhood. I took in as much of the outdoors as I could and did a lot of reminiscing about this man I called my Hero.

My father was "hands down" one of the most loyal, respectable, honorable, caring and giving type of person you would ever meet. I always loved and adored him as a father, but I also had so much respect for him as a brother, an Uncle, a beloved son, a dear friend, and someone in the community that was liked by everyone he came in contact with.

I am blessed to have been his daughter and I am honored to call him my Father and Hero in life. I will forever look forward to the day that we will all meet again, but until then, I will hang on to those wonderful memories of our family and life together.

I close this posting with a portion of the lyrics made famous by Bette Milder in the song, "Wind Beneath My Wings" for it is all about my father and my Hero, Milton Reid:

Did you ever know that you're my hero, and everything I would like to be?
I can fly higher than an eagle, for you are the wind beneath my wings.

It might have appeared to go unnoticed, but I've got it all here in my heart.

I want you to know I know the truth, of course I know it.
I would be nothing without you.

No comments: