Saturday, March 21, 2009

Sunshine in Virginia

March 21, 2009 - Just recently, I had the pleasure of visiting with my cousin, Laurie, and her family in Newport News, Virginia. I had seen her online early one Friday evening and we began chatting back and forth (IM-ing!). She indicated that they were having a big cookout on Sunday and invited me down for the weekend, so the rest was history, as they say. I got up early Saturday morning and began the 2.5 hour drive to her home. It was the perfect day for traveling: sunny and warm. I was thrilled to be able to see her family again.

Since Laurie and I are both avid shoppers, we decided to meet at the nearby Outlet mall in Williamsburg, VA. What fun that was for us both! We began a day-long adventure of hustling and bustling from store to store, in and out with the ease of the most experienced of shoppers. Each time our arms got too full of packages, we would take a load to our car and dispose of them in our trunk(s), then return to the stores. Nothing was going to stop the two of us from some serious shopping on this day and all the while we were catching up with each other's lives.

Even though we had not seen each other or spoken to each other in many months, it was if we had never been apart. This is something that is very unique and special with our family. It is something that I cherish so much about this family of mine. I know it is not all together common, because I have many friends and though they may have a very close knit "immediate" family, it may not be necessarily true of their entire family. I, however, feel a very close bond with most all of my HILL FAMILY relatives (and many of my REID family relatives). I am in close contact with many of them, several times a year. For this very reason, I feel that I am truly and richly blessed.

As the sun was setting over the horizon, Laurie and I decided it was time to find something to eat and then head toward the house. She took me to a deli that was a favorite of hers and it very quickly became a favorite of mine. I will definitely want to go back there on my next trip to the Outlet Mall! After another stop to pick up her grandbaby-dog, "Rocho", we were on our way home. What a great, great, great day we had and so much good loot to boot!

Now Laurie has a house full of kids (Amber, Emily, Spencer), grandkids (Maddy & Abby), one exchange student (Casper) and 3 dogs + Rocho, and guest, Chris. I was able to see most everyone when we got home, but the grandkids were already asleep. I could not believe how grown up her baby had gotten! Spencer was tall, slender, handsome and 14, I believe! EEEKKKKSSSS!!! I just cannot believe these kids are getting so OLD. What's up with that??? Anyway, it was past midnight when I finally got into bed and closed my eyes for some well deserved sleep. I was exhausted, but so happy I had made the trip.

As I was saying my prayers and dozing in and out of sleep, I was somewhat aware of some distant voices, but too tired to awaken myself. However, all of a sudden there was a quick rap at my door. Before I knew it, the door flew open and a precious little curly-headed blonde girl came bouncing in my room. For a split second she reminded me of little Shirley Temple, all bouncy and bubbly. It was Madison, or "Maddy" as they all call her, Laurie's granddaughter (Amber's daughter)! OH MY! Was it morning all ready?

She announced, "Get up! You have to get up and come downstairs now!" Well. I guess I knew right then and there who ran this house! I got right up and obeyed this cute little girl. It was obvious that I had fallen asleep pretty darn fast last night and those voices I was hearing were from this morning, NOT from last night. Little Maddy couldn't stand it any longer that I was sleeping late (it was just after 7:00 a.m.) and needed me to get up. I thought that was so sweet and it didn't bother me one bit. After all, I get up most every morning around this time and I wanted to spend as much time visiting with Laurie and the family as I could anyway. I joined Laurie and her husband, Wayne, out back on their patio and we enjoyed a nice leisurely morning chatting and watching the kids.

By afternoon, we had gotten all the food prepared for the big cookout and send-off for Brian, Tiffany's boyfriend (Laurie's daughter). The neighbors came over and it was really great. Did I mention the weather was perfect? Brian was leaving that next week for a 3-month work-related stay in Charleston, SC and this was his send off from the family. We ate and visited all afternoon long. It was just a perfect day. Then and again, as the sun was setting on the horizon, we picked up all the plates and things from the patio/deck area and headed inside for the evening. Another day gone, but another great day with family.

After most everyone had settled in for the night, Laurie and I sat up for awhile visiting. But with so little sleep these past two days, we both went to bed relatively early on Sunday night. I don't think it took me long to go to sleep again because I was so tired, but the long days were worth it.

I got up early Monday morning and said my goodbyes to everyone and made the trip back home to Baltimore. I had left Virginia in flip-flops and a short sleeve shirt only to come home to the bitter cold weather again, which required a coat, scarf and gloves for the first several days of the week.

My trip to Virginia was a reminder to me of the warmth of distant family vs. the coldness of a home where you don't particularly want to be, but you are there because it is a part of your life now. The good news is that once I got inside my home, the warmth of MY family was right where it always is and always will be: right here waiting on me, with open arms. Maggie and my husband were thrilled to have me home again and honestly, I was happy to see them too.

Thought for the Day: "The love of family is one of Life's greatest blessings."

No comments: