Thursday, August 21, 2008

Birthday in Mississippi




August 21, 2008 - My sweet hubby again this year flew me back home to MS to be with my family and friends to celebrate my birthday. This time last year, I was on the beach with my Mississippi gal-pals for my big 5-0 celebration. This year, it was with my boys, family and friends for my 51st birthday. It was extra special since I am blessed in sharing this day with my oldest son, Reid. He turned 23 and I was so proud to be able to share this special day with him.

Upon my arrival in Mississippi, I met my gal-friends (or "sisthas" as they are called) at one of our favorite Italian restaurants there in Ridgeland called Amerigos. It makes me hungry at just the mention of it! As always, Connie arrived first, looking her usual stylish self; then Angela with those big, adventurous blue eyes and the one that has a solution for any and every problem we could ever encounter; then there is Ms. Jan: always fashionably late and looking like a million $$$; and our dear friend Pat was there too. She is a former co-worker of Connie's that joined our group a few years back and we all adore her. She keeps us focused! There we gathered for a 3 hour brunch of good food, lots of laughter and good conversations. And how could I forget all the great "happies" we exchanged among ourselves. Never mind it was my birthday and Pat's a few days later, we just love bringing happies for each other!! See? The greatest thing about our group is that we are always doing this among ourselves, if for no other reason than to say "we love you" or "we are thinking of you"..... It's a southern thing, I guess, but we just love doing it!

The evening of my and son Reid's official birthday (July 29th), my Aunt Corrie and Aunt Brenda got as many family members together as possible and we all met over at Corrie's house for lots of good food and family fun. For several of us, it was the first time we had seen each other in well over a year or so. We were all raised as a close-knit family and held family reunions often, even though the past several years have pulled us all in many different directions. However, I am so thankful to be a part of this computerized generation that enables us to stay in touch through emails, IM's, and/or cell phones. It is because of this technology that our family has remained so close.

Birthday attendees were: brother, Frank "Bricky"and wife, Linda; Aunt Corrie and daughters/cousins, Pam, Tona and Ty; Aunt Brenda and daughter/cousin, Christy; 2nd Cousins Mollie and Katie Crow, daughters of Lisa and Johnny Crow; my dear friend, Luticia Johnson; and then of course, Me along with sons, Reid and Ross! Even though my Aunt Marilyn of Colorado was in Mississippi during this time, she was unable to make it back to Madison on this particular day. I did, however, get to spend some time with her, her daughter, Donna and husband, Timmy, a few days beforehand, so this was good. I love spending time with my family and never get tired of it. I am blessed and proud to have the family I do.... we may not be perfect, but who cares? We don't try to be.


THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: "Life is too short to wake up with regrets, so live life to its fullest, love those who treat you right and forget those who don't."

No comments: