
June 15, 2008 - Where do I begin to express my thoughts on this Father's Day? Initially, this day brings up sadness in my heart. You see, my father, Milton Moran Reid, died of a massive stroke 8 years ago on March 31, 2000 -- just one day shy of my son, Ross', 11th birthday. Though this sadness never truly leaves me, I am quickly reminded of so much more regarding my father.
The memories of the man I called my father are flooded with laughter, smiles, joy, fun, tears and love... so, so much love. He was much more than a father to me; he was my best buddy and my Hero in life and never, ever once did he fail me in any way. He was not perfect, but to me, he was everything a Father should be and more.
For as far back as I can remember (at nearly 51 years of age, my memory still goes back a good way, thank goodness, though some days that is debateable!!), my father was always at my side helping me, teaching me or guiding me in life. I loved animals and hated the dentist therefore, many times when I was "forced" to go to the dentist, I would come home to a new pet of some kind (dogs, fish, rabbits mostly!). We didn't have an "inside" dog until I was in high school, so many of our outside pets disappeared frequently over the years for one reason or another. Of course each time, I would be devasted, but my father always came to my rescue!
One kindergarden memory I fondly recall was an end-of-the-year play (1962). Each member of our class acted out different nursery rhymes that we had learned or read during the year. I was assigned the Mother Goose nursery rhyme of "Mary Had a Little Lamb". My Mother sent Dad out to find me a lamb for the play. I was thrilled when he came back with a white, plastic lamb on wheels, with a pull string! I was able to stand up in front of all those classmates and parents, reciting my assigned poem AND pulling the lamb, as if it were real!! I thought my Dad was the greatest of all the Dad's for finding me such an animal!
Fast forward many years later, when I was starting out my high school career as a Majorette. Our routines usually involved several props and an outfit change for every majorette and every performance. My father volunteered to be the "manager" of the props, etc. for us and regardless of whether our games were in town or out, he loaded up his truck with all our things and made sure they were there for us at each and every event. THEN to make matters even moreso complicated, I was also a basketball cheerleader and my father attended every game, no matter where it was or how far from home. He was my biggest Fan always, no matter what I was doing or how many activities I was involved in. He never, ever complained, but always had that great, big smile for me.
Then there was all my redecorating over the years or all out totally moving from apartment to apartment. My father was there every step of the way, rarely complaining, but always helping. The seemingly constant room redecorating ideas, from painting my walls, to moving the heavy furniture around, never got old as he thought I was "creative"as I recall. Then when I went to college, I moved a total of 4 times in 3 years! Again, my father was the ace Mover each and every time.... always making it fun, though I'm sure it was not!
I also like to credit my father (and Mother!) for teaching me so many things in life that a mere paragraph or two could never fulfill. His love of life and upbeat attitude on life carried over to me and my two brothers. He taught us to always look for the good in people and to look for the good, in otherwise bad situations. He taught us to have fun and to reach beyond what was "comfortable" to us. He taught us to make the most of our God-given talents, no matter how small they might seem. He taught us to believe in ourselves and be proud of our roots. He taught us that true friendship lives on forever, if you choose to keep it. But mostly, he and my mother taught us to love our family, no matter what.
No one served as a better example of a father than Milton Reid did for our family. He was and always will be the greatest father a daughter could have and will forever be my Hero in life. I miss him more than words can say and I think of him EVERY day, without fail. I live with the sustaining thought that someday I will see him and my mother again and we will pick up just where we left off all those years ago. My Faith assures me of this and my heart holds onto that very special place where no one else can ever replace.
In closing, I leave this poem I wrote for my father, Milton Moran Reid, on this special day:
It seems like yesterday
Your were here, though not so well.
You lived each day for family,
Though your health was a living hell.
We visited or telephoned often
To talk of family and friends,
To go for Sunday drives,
Or sneak forbidden milkshakes in.
We often spoke of the future,
Though it was painful to bare.
We did our best to pretend
That death wasn’t a care.
In those final weeks,
As your health drifted away,
Your mind remained in tact,
But what more could we say.
I’ll never forget you, my father,
You made me who I am today.
I’ll never forget your love
Or the legacy you sent our way.Your Loving Daughter
Father’s Day, June 15, 2008
Your were here, though not so well.
You lived each day for family,
Though your health was a living hell.
We visited or telephoned often
To talk of family and friends,
To go for Sunday drives,
Or sneak forbidden milkshakes in.
We often spoke of the future,
Though it was painful to bare.
We did our best to pretend
That death wasn’t a care.
In those final weeks,
As your health drifted away,
Your mind remained in tact,
But what more could we say.
I’ll never forget you, my father,
You made me who I am today.
I’ll never forget your love
Or the legacy you sent our way.Your Loving Daughter
Father’s Day, June 15, 2008
No comments:
Post a Comment