Saturday, January 21, 2017

Saturday, January 21, 2017
While perusing one of my devotional books this morning, I realized I had missed Thursday's entry and began reading it. It struck me as I was immediately taken back to yesterday's historical Inauguration of our 45th President, Donald J. Trump. (See attached)

I spent most of the day glued to the television, watching every moment of the day's events leading up to and after the official swearing in ceremony.  I had so many tears throughout the day as I realized I was blessed to be a part of this movement in America for change and more importantly, for accountability and transparency in our government. I shed many happy tears, mixed with an anxiousness for the incoming President and his family. I also cried tears for the former President (Obama) and his family as they so graciously handed over the reins to President Trump and his family. There was not a lot of love between the two, but they were smart enough to rise above their differences and political views, to show America how it should be and could be done. 

The country has been so divided on this election and the events leading up to it. It has really been a stain on the democracy of our nation and its people.  And although the Obamas' made an incredible mark on many Americans in their own way, I was never a big supporter of them. However, I did openly acknowledge on many occasions how nearly perfect President Obama was in his speaking abilities and his rhetoric both in front of and behind the cameras. After all, I was a honor graduate in public speaking, I would give Obama an A+ in this class (only!). He was quite possibly one of the Top Ten Best presidential orators of my time.

As I continued watching the Inauguration, I noticed that just as soon as President-elect Trump put his hand on the bible to take the Presidential Oath of Office, it began to rain. You could plainly see the rain droplets on his dark overcoat. Symbolism? I don't know, but the television commentators also took note of it and afterwards, began their multi-speculation on the timing of the rain. Trump supporters thought this was a sign of good luck as is in many cultures throughout history (i.e. bird pooping on head, etc/good luck); then there were the others that thought it might represent many storms ahead with this presidency. I just thought it funny how every moment, every move, every word of his Inauguration was deciphered and broken down to its "true" meaning. 

Back to my devotional..... as I mentioned, I had somehow overlooked this particular entry until today, Saturday, January 21st.... one day AFTER the Inauguration.  This Devotional speaks of how rain renews the earth and makes it flourish; how it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater. Was this not exactly what the rain on President Trump's coat implied? A rebirth? A sowing of the seeds of Hope and Faith and Renewal for America? THIS was the perfect devotional for me to read one day AFTER the swirling questions and speculations surrounding the timing of the rain and Trumps Inauguration. 

I will continue to believe in a more perfect America and strive to be a better American myself. I will continue to lean on my Faith that is as deep as the blood running through my veins. I will continue to believe that GOD is in control one way or the other and HE WILL see us through these uncharted and often disruptive times we are unfortunately going through.  God Bless America and our new President!


No comments: