Sunday, January 4, 2009

Christmas 2008 with a DPM







January 4, 2009 - With much excitement, I filled the refrigerator and kitchen cabinets with all sorts of college-friendly food, bought Christmas presents, and decorated the house in anticipation of the arrival of my two sons, Reid and Ross, to Baltimore for Christmas. The only thing missing was the snow, darn it.


As soon as I saw them from a distance, the tears swelled in my eyes. I am one of those DPM's..... you know, Darn-Proud-Moms. No matter what, I think they are The Greatest. I don't get to see them that often, so whenever I do, it is very, very special. What always makes me most proud, however, is that no matter where we go, they stand out.....they are well dressed, well groomed (well, sometimes son #1 chooses not to shave every day, but that's ok!), and overall, look like they were raised well. Kudos to me? Well, I prefer to say "Kudos, to my parents!" Because it was with their help, that I survived raising two sons alone. I could not have done it without them. Yes, I'm a DPM and loving it!

We had a great visit together and of course, they cleaned out the kitchen cabinets as best they could. Mike and I had forgotten how much milk and OJ they could drink in just a few short days! Reminds me that I need to purchase each of them a grocery card soon!!


We got to go visit Arlington National Cemetery, where we saw the Changing of the Guard, at The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. While there, we also visited President John F. Kennedy and wife, Jackie O's gravesites. The Changing of the Guard ceremony was quite impressive. We stood in awe, with hundreds of other onlookers, watching them go through their routine, with every "click of their heel" in perfect unison, at every turn and on every beat, hour after hour, day after day, 365 days a year. Amazing. Truly Amazing. I would hope every American could see this some day.


Though the cemetery is in Virginia and just across the bridge from Washington, DC, we still have so many sites to see in the Washington/VA area that we've not seen yet. It takes about a half day to visit a couple of sites, if you want to enjoy them and not be rushed, and of course there is all the walking..... lots and lots of walking, but Hey!.... Exercise is good, right?

The week flew by just way too fast for this DPM, but for the boys, I'm sure it was time enough. They had caught up on their sleep, filled their bellies over and over again with good food, gotten some decent Christmas goodies, a whole lot of good lovin' from our dog, Maggie, plenty of good-fun jabbing with Mike, and tons of non-comparable, Mother-Love from me. All in all, it was a good Christmas, just without the snow. Maybe next year! All my love, DPM

No comments: